Cost of Living Advice

15 November 2022

Dear Parents and Carers,


Cost-of-living advice


As the cost of living continues to affect many in our whole school community, we are writing to support you with finding out what help and support might be available to you and your family.


Contact your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or Family Hub


Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB)

You do not have to be a UK citizen to get support from your local CAB, you just need to be a resident of the local area. The CAB can help you with:

  • Getting benefits or other financial support organised
  • Accessing support for essential costs (food, bills, rent)

Visit the website here or contact your local branch to book an appointment


Family Hub

Contact your local Family Hub to get help accessing all the support you might need as a family.  Find your local hub here


Check you are paying the right amount of tax

Make sure you are on the right tax code and, if not, you might be due a refund. Use the Money Saving Expert free tax code calculator to find out.


Claim any benefits that you are entitled to

Use one of these benefits calculators to determine whether there are any benefits you could be claiming:


You may be able to get benefits paid early if you are already experiencing financial hardship - this is known as ‘a short-term benefit advance’.  You will need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) office that is dealing with your claim.


Check you have received all the government’s cost of living payments

The government’s cost of living payment is available for those receiving certain benefits or tax credits. You do not need to apply for this, if you are eligible then the money should go straight into your account.

If you think you are due a payment, but have not received one, report your missing payment here:


Be aware of scams!

If you receive any emails, texts or phone calls asking you to fill in an application form, or asking for your bank details to receive a cost of living payment, do not talk to them or send a reply. Get more information about scams here:


Find out what help you can get with your energy bills

Take a look at these resources:


Let us know if your child is entitled to free school meals (FSM)

If your child is eligible for free school meals (FSM) you must register them. This will allow them to receive a free meal at school, and the school will receive get extra funding to support your child’s learning:


See what other support you can get from your local authority

Local authorities have lots of different schemes that you might be eligible for, including:


The holiday activities and food programme


Help with transport to school


Help with the cost of uniform


Get free or low-cost food

If you are worried about not having enough food to feed your family, you are not alone and there are a number of places offering support.


If you have a child under 4, and meet the eligibility criteria, you may be entitled to healthy food vouchers


Find a local foodbank with these websites:


Use food waste apps and websites: (for free food and household items from your local community) (for low cost food from local restaurants) (food that has passed its best before date, but is still safe to consume)


Get in touch with us to let us know if you’re struggling with your finances

We understand that everyone is ‘feeling the pinch’ and so if you are struggling with your finances, please do get in touch with your school teams to let them know.  Whilst they unfortunately will not be able to promise a solution, they hope to support our Trust and school communities where we can and may have suggestions to help.



Further information